Monday, January 28, 2008

Man Shall Not Live on Bread Alone

"More than any other single Discipline, fasting reveals the things that control us. This is a wonderful benefit to the true disciple who longs to be transformed into the image of Jesus Christ. We cover up what is inside us with food and other good things, but in fasting these things surface. If pride controls us, it will be revealed almost immediately. David said, "I humbled my soul with fasting" (Ps. 69:10). Anger, bitterness, jealousy, strife, fear—if they are within us, they will surface during fasting. At first we will rationalize that our anger is due to our hunger then we know that we are angry because the spirit of anger is within us. We can rejoice in this knowledge because we know that healing is available through the power of Christ." - Richard Foster
"Of fasting I say this: It is right to fast frequently in order to subdue and control the body. For when the stomach is full, the body does not serve for preaching, for praying, or studying, or for doing anything else that is good. Under such circumstances God's Word cannot remain. But one should not fast with a view to meriting something by it as by a good work "- Martin Luther

I have been doing a lot of studying on Fasting. I am interested to see what some of your opinions of it are. I also listened to the best sermon on it I have ever heard I encourage you to go listen to it
Here

1 comment:

Rachel Garcia, CD(DONA) said...

okay.. just so you won't feel bad that NOONE left a comment on this post. I hate feeling neglected.. hehe..

I have no need to fast since I am always in great fellowship and agreement with the Lord. I always know exactly where He is leading and I NEVER have any problems following Him.

If you believe that then you should also know that I am a mom by day and a supermodel by night.

all joking aside.. one of the best explanations for fasting that i have heard is that it is best used when you are trying to search the mind of Christ on a decision and you need to purge out distractions that keep you from seeking His face on the matter. Thus fasting at its best. It is not meant to show us our "need" for Christ, our sin does that. The Law does that. We know we are feeble and our flesh is weak.. but when Christ, who is our example in fasting as well, when he fasted it was not because he needed to be reminded of his flesh (he could not sin..as we often do by our lack of fellowship with the Lord) rather he fasted to focus on His father. To focus on what it would take to walk in obedience to the Father and thwart the temptations of the Enemy.

So I say, fast on in matters of drowning out the distractions that would normally keep you from seeking the Lord's face.